Graduate Quantum Mechanics

Fall-Winter 2018    Welcome! This is PH6003, a graduate course on Quantum Mechanics.
  1. Textbook: Lectures on Quantum Mechanics, 2nd Edition, Steven Weinberg
  2. Class Venue: H2-101
  3. Class Times: Mondays 9 - 11:50 am
  4. My Office: S4-718
  5. E-mail: yizen [dot] chu [at] gmail [dot] com
  6. My Office Hours: Thursdays 11 am - 12 noon
  7. Atiq Ur Rahman (Graduate Teaching Assistant):
    1. Office: S4 7th floor study room
    2. E-mail: atiqchep [at] gmail [dot] com
    3. Office Hours: Thursdays 1-4 pm, or make an appointment by e-mail.
- Yi-Zen
  • Disability     If you have a disability that you think I should know about, and if you need special accomodations, please feel free to speak to me after class or e-mail me to set up a meeting.    
  • Academic Integerity     You are encouraged to discuss with your classmates the material covered in class, and even work together on your assignments. However, the work you turn in must be the result of your own effort. If I find that you copied your work from some place else, you will immediately receive zero credit for that particular piece of work. If you plagarized your classmate, your classmate will also receive zero credit for her/his/their work, unless (s)he/they can prove to my satisfaction (s)he/they were unwilling participant(s) of your dishonesty.
Syllabus and Grading Scheme

We will be covering Chapters 2 through 5 of Weinberg.
  • General Principles of QM
  • Central Potential Problems
  • Spin, Rotation, Bosons vs Fermions, etc.
  • Approximation Methods
Because I wish to reward hard work during the semester, I will give most weight -- 75% of your total grade -- to the homework you turn in. The final paper will take up the rest of the 25%.

Homework (75%):     I recommend starting your homework as soon as possible -- do not wait until the day before it is due to do it! Note: I will not accept late homework -- just turn in whatever you have done at the time/day it is due.
  1. Due Tuesday 24 September: Analytical Methods 4.1 through 4.11
  2. Due Monday 15 October: Analytical Methods 4.12 through 4.23
  3. Due Monday 5 November: Analytical Methods 4.24, 4.25, 4.27, 4.29 through 4.39
  4. Due Monday 26 November: Weinberg Problems 3.1 through 3.6; Analytical Methods 4.47 through 4.52; Problem A: construct Y_3^m(theta,phi), for all m; Problem B: In 3D, start with the angular momentum operators in Cartesian coordinates and convert them into spherical coordinates.
  5. Due Monday 10 December: Weinberg 2.2 through 2.7; QM Notes 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.1
  6. Due Wednesday 2 January: Weinberg 4.1 through 4.6.
Final (25%) (Due Monday 7 January 2019, 11:59 pm):     Write a 15-20 page paper discussing the basic physics behind decoherence within the context of quantum mechanics. You may wish look here, here, here and here; but you should of course feel free to seek out other resources.

Note added: If you turn in your final report on Tuesday 8 January you will receive 80% of the credit (so if you score 20/25, you'll receive 16/25); if you do so on Wednesday 9 January you will receive 60% of the credit; and so on. If you turn in your final report on Saturday 12 January or after, you will receive 0.

Writing guidelines for final paper     The paper should be written in English, and the font size should be 12 points. Your writing will be judged firstly by the accuracy, breadth and depth of the content; but also by the clarity of the exposition. Make sure you cite your sources carefully and provide proper credit whenever appropriate. Turn in your papers by e-mailing them to both Atiq Rahman and I. If you write your paper on MS Word, please convert it to Open Office format before sending it to me. Extra credit will be given if you write your paper in LaTeX; if you do, just e-mail me your TeX file.

Additional Material

Linear algebra explained in Dirac bra-ket notation can be found in Chapter 4 of Analytical Methods in Physics.

Additional notes on QM here.

Quantum Mechanics Textbooks
(Mostly links to -- out of convenience; not an endorsement of their business practices.)


The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of mine (Yi-Zen Chu). The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the National Central University.