QSI 532 CCD Camera on Pentax 75mm SDHF APO
The QSI 532ws-M1 CCD camera is a cooled camera used for astrophotography and scientific imaging.
The above photo shows the QSI 532ws-M1 camera mounted on a Pentax 75mm SDHF APO telescope.
The FOV is 101.5 x 68.4 arcmin at 2.79 arcsec/pix.
The QSI 532ws-M1 CCD camera comes standard with a
2 inch Nosepiece.
A Edmund Optics
T-Mount 10mm extension tube (52294) is put between the QSI 532ws-M1 CCD camera and the QSI 2 inch nosepiece to reach focus with the Pentax 75mm telescope.
The QSI 2 inch nosepiece fits into the OPT 60.2mm to 2" Sleeve Adapter for Pentax telescopes [OS-PA2].
The OPT Pentax 2 inch Straight-Thru Adapter for Pentax refractors [PE-70412] was tried but it was too long and camera could not be focused.
QSI 532ws-M1 CCD Camera Imaging Components
- QSI 532ws-M1 CCD camera with QSI 2 inch nosepiece
- QSI 532ws-M1 CCD camera control software is Diffraction Limited MaxIm DL.
- Edmund Optics T-Mount 10mm extension tube (52294)
- OPT 60.2mm to 2" Sleeve Adapter for Pentax telescopes [OS-PA2]
- Pentax 75mm SDHF APO 3-element design refractor (f/6.7 focal ratio, 500mm focal length) telescope
- Guiding camera is Meade Deep Sky Imager PRO.
- Guiding and finder telescope is made of Edmund Optics 48mm
- Lens ACH 40mm dia. X 160 mm focal length TechSpec MgF2 coated Achromatic Lens (32923 or
- T-Mount 40mm Achromat/Thick Lens Mount (57978)
- T-mount 50mm extension tube (58735)
- T-Mount Fine Thread Focus 35-60MM Tube at 53mm (52300 or NT52-300)
- T-mount 25mm extension tube (52295)
- Two T-Mount 48mm Ring Mounts with 1/4-20 Tap (52304)
- A used T-mount extension tube for a dew shield
- A older version of the Manfrotto 394: Bogen-Manfrotto RC4 Low Profile Rectangular Rapid Connect Adapter #3270/394
- Guiding software is Stark Labs PHD Guiding.
- The telescope mount is the Orion Telescopes and Binoculars Sirius EQ-G with GoTo Controller.
- ShoeString Astronomy GPUSB guide port interface adapter to ST-4 type connector on the Sirius telescope mount
- HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop running Vista with three USB ports (QSI 532ws-M1, Deep Sky Imager PRO and GPUSB)
QSI 532ws-M1 CCD Camera Specifications
The QSI 532ws-M1 CCD Camera uses a Kodak KAF-3200ME CCD sensor that is optmize for scientific measurements with its linear response.
The camera has very high quantum efficiency
(PDF) using Kodak
Enhanced Spectral Response and Microlens technology. The QSI camera electronics has with very low noise and very good temperature regulation. Its small size makes it a good match for the small Pentax 75mm SDHF APO and the Sirius mount. One 11 pound counter weight is used.
- Kodak KAF-3200ME (PDF data sheet) Full Frame CCD sensor
- CCD sensor size 14.85mm x 10.26mm
- 6.8µm × 6.8µm pixel size
- 2184 x 1472 active pixel array (3,214,848 total pixels)
- 16-bit A/D conversion
- Thermoelectric cooling
- USB 2 interface to computer
- QSI Manual and documentation web page
David Haworth QSI 532ws-M1 Images
David Haworth QSI 532ws-M1 Camera Performance
© 1998-2008 David Haworth